Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fowl Play

There is nothing like a roasting chicken in the oven. It’s nutritionally sound, provides aromatherapy, and is a comfort food all rolled into a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 70-90 minutes.

I really like to roast chickens. No. Let me be clear. I really like to roast chickens. I would have one in the oven right now, only I’ve roasted three in the past seven days. Company was coming, you have to understand. And who doesn’t like to walk into a house filled with the smell of something good in the oven? Well, in this case—perhaps—a vegetarian.

Looking back, even as a child I was a huge fan of the bird. Though my Mom, rest her soul, couldn’t make a chicken to save her life. She always said people were “cookers” or “cleaners.” Imagine my dismay at 13 years old to realize that I was neither. I digress. She cooked the darn thing within an inch of its previous life. It wasn’t juicy. It wasn’t moist. Dry as the Sahara. Somehow, I liked it anyhow.

As I grew, so did my love for fowl. Chicken was my friend back in high school when I decided that I needed a little more of it so there would be a little less of me in a bathing suit. In college, I admit, Colonel Sanders was the source of my chicken fetish from time to time. In my 30’s when I began doing strength training, it was my answer for additional protein for many a mid-afternoon snack. It was what I would order in any shape or form - whether I was in a Chinese, Thai, Italian, Spanish or fill-in-the-blank restaurant. Yet for years I was hesitant to try roasting one myself.

t really wasn’t until I understood the truth and horror around factory farming that I realized that I needed to spread my wings and find good quality chickens that didn't have antibiotics or hormones in them. Then… learn to cook it. Also, if I was going to eat an animal for food, I wanted to be sure that it saw the light of day during its lifetime. I wanted to know that it was not kept in an unlit chicken coop with hundreds of other chickens milling about in their own mess. I wanted to know that it could enjoy the natural instinct of literal pecking order, sans suffering the stress and pain of having their beaks physically altered so that it wouldn’t injure, or prematurely kill, another chicken in the process. And, that during its life span, it was eating healthy feed and not genetically modified corn or soy product. Okay, sorry for the soapbox. If you are not aware of what goes on with chicken processing, try to learn about it. It's worth it! Most chain supermarkets, non-organic butchers or most restaurants are up to fowl play. Alas, that’s the story of most 21st century chickens today.

What to do?

If you live in an area that has local chicken farmers, please support them. Many local farmers markets will have vendors with free range and antibiotic/hormone free chickens. Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s are two other national chains that make a point of having 'clean' meat. And, once you find that great source of beautiful lean protein, here’s a great way to cook it:

Divinely Roasted Chicken

-Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
-Put your chicken in a roasting pan
-Pour one cup of organic vegetable broth/stock over it (Or use one cup of either red or white wine)
-Season with Celtic Sea Salt and Pepper
-Add any additional seasonings you wish (some yummy ideas: sage/rosemary/thyme; herbs de Provence; a glaze of honey and mustard --one teaspoon of mustard to one tablespoon honey)
-Place in pre-heated oven for 70-90 minutes. Timing will depend upon your individual oven. Gas and electric will cook differently. Older ovens, whatever the energy source, cook more slowly.


My FAVORITE sides are roasted root vegetables (beets, potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips and/or any combination). I cut them up, drizzle an abundant amount of olive oil on them and season them, minimally with Celtic Sea Salt and black pepper. Herbs de Provence are great on them too. I usually put them in a separate roasting pan on the oven shelf below where the chicken is roasting, but at the same time. They are usually done 10-15 minutes before the bird.
Others swear by throwing them in with the chicken and letting the veggies cook in the meat juices for more chicken delight.


Note: Some people prefer roasting at 350 degrees. If this makes you happier…go ahead and do it. I have an electric oven and I’m just happier roasting at 375 degrees.

You know when the chicken is done one of three ways:

a) Use an oven thermometer. It should read 180 degrees when it is cooked.
b) It should be evenly browned and the leg will jiggle freely when you wiggle it.
c) The juices run clear when you cut into it. (And, of course, the meat is white—not pink)


Bon Appetit !

Contact me for nutrition/wellness counseling at www.wholebodyworks.net

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been lucky enough to have a meal prepared by Mela. And guess what she served? Yep, chicken, in addition to all the other epicurean delights she presented. Great blog Mela!